Monday, August 20, 2012

Selling Seagate Technology STX

I am moving STX off my recommend list. This was on my "supplemental smartphone index" list I made up in response to Jim Cramer's Smartphone Index he introduced on Mad Money back on August 11, 2009. As my previous posts explain, I thought his original list of 21 names left out some good ones, so I picked a list of 9 supplemental choices. Originally, I had another 3 China domiciled names included, but I soon implemented a ban on all stocks reporting out of  The People's Republic - the "people" don't report there as much as the government. And I don't trust their reporting (Cramer has a similar ban, tolerating only BIDU). By the way, I made an error in my 2/18/12 post followup on the smartphone index. I had SYNA grouped with the 3 China stocks, CHU, CHA, NTE.

From the start of the index August, 2009, STX has returned +192% and still has a price/cash flow of only 4.7 and a PE of 4 ! I hate to sell something so cheap, it still looks good as this recent article over at Kiplinger attests. But it has evidence of a tiring climb, and a triple in 3 years probably already reflects a lot of good developments. If they move more forcefully into smartphone and cloud storage, there could still be a lot of climb left in this one.

I took ARMH out of the index on 3/7/12, so that leaves 7: LLTC, WRLS, SYNA, EA,OVTI, CREE, AKAM.

4 comments:

  1. The best stock management for 2011 and beyond for the common trader in the marketplace takes the way of an catalog finance. If you don't want to purchase the currency markets itself your best substitute would be in the ever well-known way of common funds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I discovered your blog site on Google and check a few of your early posts. Continue to keep up the very good operate. I just additional up your RSS feed to my MSN News Reader. Seeking forward to reading more from you later on.
    buying gold online

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sold all global stocks six weeks ago. Something bad is coming out of the Eurozone.

    ReplyDelete